Friday, January 21, 2011

Why Not Roast in Your Pot?


Dear Readers,

I grew up in a reasonably gourmet household where mom’s dinners consisted of meals like bouillabaisse and blue cheese and herb stuffed chicken breasts. I don’t ever recall the smell of a pot roast wafting up the stairs to my bedroom where I sat at my desk doing homework.

Okay, I may be exaggerating a little. I’m sure there was a pot roast or two in my time. Mom is half German and makes a wonderfully delicious sauerbraten which I love. However, because both of my parents enjoyed testing their skills in the kitchen with different flavor mashing and layering of ingredients, I grew up thinking that foods like baked chicken and American pot roast were common and boring. Those were the things I’d eat when having dinner at a friend’s house, not MY house. Mom and dad made fancy foods, except for the very occasional fried egg & cheese sandwich mom would throw together when we were in a hurry to be somewhere. (She somehow even made those more delicious then they were supposed to be.)

Now that I’m grown up and have a passion of my own for experimenting with food, I’m starting to reverse my negative thoughts about roasting meats. Just this season I’ve decided that you CAN make a fancy roast. It doesn’t have to be boring with dry outer layers and just brown gravy, carrots, and potatoes. I’ve been testing recipes for lamb roasts, pork roasts, and yes, even (my most dreaded) pot roast. I usually marinate and grill or pan sauté meats and make delicious sauces by adding ingredients to the drippings, so you can imagine I’ve been treading on some very new territory.

Here is a pot roast recipe that I found and modified and then really enjoyed. The amount of horseradish seems excessive but don’t be scared! The flavor mellows as it cooks in the dutch oven leaving a really delicate and awesome flavor in the meat. I don’t eat starches but paired the main dish with garlic sautéed green beans and it was really fab.

Truly & tastefully,
Tara

Horseradish Pot Roast
4 pounds beef chuck roast, boneless
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
8 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
12 ounces low sodium beef broth (3 ounces reserved for thickening the sauce)
½ cup prepared horseradish
½ cup dry white wine
Salt and ground black pepper to taste

Pot Roast Prep:
Pre-heat oven to 325. Salt and pepper meat on all sides. In a Dutch oven or large pan with a tight-fitting oven proof lid, sear meat in oil over med/high heat until all sides have a nice brown crust. Turn burner off. Pour liquids over the meat and toss garlic and onions into the pot. Cover entire top of the roast with a layer of horseradish. If you love horseradish, feel free to use more, as stated the flavor will mellow and give the meat a lovely flavor. Put lid on pot and stick in the oven for about 2. 5 hours. Once done, thicken the juices by placing the pan back on the burner and removing the meat. Mix 3 ounces of reserved beef broth with 2 tablespoons of flour and wisk it into the boiling liquid until it thickens. Slice the roast and pour on the gravy!
.

2 comments:

  1. I made your Horseradish pot roast this past Sunday, WOW! We all enjoyed and fought over the last bits for lunch Monday morning, thanks so much for a really great recipe. Keep the recipes coming.
    Have a nice weekend and thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the pot roast, Coupons! Thanks for the trying the recipe and it's great to know it was well received by your household. I'll be posting a delicious pork roast recipe sometime this winter so keep checking in. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete